A

Monday, March 30, 2015

Review: Saint Anything


Saint Anything
Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



Sarah Dessen has been on my to-read list for the past couple of years. I've heard nothing but good things about this author, but with the way life works, it's easy to get distracted. Now that I have finally had the chance to read her work, I am hooked. Saint Anything is a book that I simply couldn't put down.

The most amazing part of this book wasn't the fact that a teen is dealing with her brother's fall from grace or the way that her parents chose to focus on him rather than on both of their children. It wasn't Sydney's discover of friends that meet more of her needs than her prep school friends ever could. And it certainly wasn't the twists and turns that come with putting blinders on and letting someone in your life that shouldn't be there like they did with Ames.

No, the most amazing part of this book was how true to life Dessen made Sydney's feelings to the reader. I have never in my life empathized with a character so much as I did with Sydney. While I'm sure everyone feels lonely at times, feeling invisible is a whole other level that I understand. And it's so true that once that invisibility is lifted, even in part, by people who care about you, you never want to hide in the comfort of invisibility again--even when life gets messy.

This is a reading experience that will definitely stay with me. I almost can't put it into the right words how this book just seems to get it. After reading Saint Anything, I will certainly be picking up more titles by Dessen.



View all my reviews

No comments: