A

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Review: Bitch Planet, Vol 1: Extraordinary Machine

Bitch Planet, Vol 1: Extraordinary Machine Bitch Planet, Vol 1: Extraordinary Machine by Kelly Sue DeConnick
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Too smart? Not pretty? Too loud? Too quiet? In today's society, none of these issues will get you noticed. But when men dominate the earth and begin punishing women for their unique traits? Having any of these issues will get you sent to Bitch Planet, a penal colony for women conveniently located on another planet.

In these five episodes, readers get to meet some of the prisoners on Bitch Planet, how they ended up there, and how they are building a sports team to get a chance to show those dominating men what they are really made of. Readers also get to see the men who have taken over rule of everything, handing out arbitrary punishments for women they simple don't like or can't handle.

I've never really considered myself a warrior when it comes to feminism, and I only occasionally pick up comic books. However, when your talking about a gritty, in-your-face feminist comic, I'm all over it. This was an intriguing series of stories that make you want to scream at the male-dominating overlords every time you turn the page.

The artwork in this volume is extraordinary--I only wished I had read it from physical copies because reading it on a computer doesn't let you linger on each page to take in all of the minute details in the background while you are reading the story. I also really loved the retro ads placed at the end of each episode that is so reminiscent of classic comic book and kids magazines. Overall, anyone that wants to see a good story about strong women trying to overcome adversity, this is a good place to start.

*I received a copy of this book from NetGalley.

View all my reviews

No comments: