A

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Review: Last Sext

Last Sext Last Sext by Melissa Broder
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Last Sext by Melissa Broder is an interesting collection of poetry that sticks with darker themes in discovery of self and contemplation of life and death. As much as I like to read poetry, this book really wasn't the type of poetry that I usually read. I'm all for exploration into these themes and trying to come up with inventive ways to express them, but I'm not sure the author went past a stream of consciousness session on the work. Much of it is repetitive. For example, glitter shows up in a lot of this book:

Because they glitter/O the glittery shit
--
...Lies your glitter/Yes, bless that glittery shitdoor
--
Under my voice/Which is glitter and cold
--
...And glittery mirrors and minigods...


Along with some of the repetition of words and repeat imagery, there are some moments where you just shake your head and go “what?” Such as:

Call me a jellyfish/In the evening my body grows a penis/I want you in my odor
--
I can hold back till infinity/Then I get to hump the light


I wouldn't discourage anyone from reading this just because it wasn't for me. However, if you are already one of those readers that avoids poetry at all costs, you probably shouldn't take a chance on this one to change your mind.

*Received a copy of this book through NetGalley

View all my reviews

No comments: