A

Monday, September 5, 2016

Review: In Such Good Company: Eleven Years of Laughter, Mayhem, and Fun in the Sandbox

In Such Good Company: Eleven Years of Laughter, Mayhem, and Fun in the Sandbox In Such Good Company: Eleven Years of Laughter, Mayhem, and Fun in the Sandbox by Carol Burnett
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

In the Sixties and Seventies variety shows were it. There were so many of them that featured great musicians, actors and comedians of the time. But no one can compare to the talent that was brought every week on the Carol Burnett Show.In Such Good Company: Eleven Years of Laughter, Mayhem, and Fun in the Sandbox by Carol Burnett gives a first-hand account of the show's eleven years, with many behind-the-scenes stories, reflections and insider information.

I loved reading this book, but I have to admit that I don't know if I've ever seen a full episode of the show. I know that when I was a kid there would be those marathon infomercials on Sunday mornings or evenings squeezed between something like the American bowling championships and the evening news. It was those infomercials selling sets of the show where I saw all of the classics skits, such as the dentist bit, their take on Gone With the Wind and other memorable scenes. Even though I missed out on seeing probably all of the musical numbers (I think I'll be shopping for the DVDs), it still always fascinated me and made me laugh. With this insider look, I got to know a lot more about how the production of the show went, who Burnett's favorite guests were and so on.

Burnett's the kind of woman that I think would be awesome to spend an afternoon over coffee with. And of course out of all the great stories in the book, I'm left intrigued about which star was a pain-in-the-you-know-what... although I think I have an idea of who it was. But we'll probably never know unless someone spills the beans!

If you are a fan of Carol Burnett or simply loved all of those variety shows from the past, this is a must read.

*Received a copy of this book from NetGalley


View all my reviews

No comments: