A

Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Review: Winter: A Novel

Winter: A Novel Winter: A Novel by Ali Smith
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

A family reunites on Christmas, though the tension between sisters and the fake girlfriend a son has brought home is front and center on the holiday celebration.

This book goes everywhere--much of it has little to do with the family itself, more of what the family thinks and says about the history of the world, the history of themselves, and the current economic and political climate (the last couple pages in particular, that didn't seem to have anything to do with the book other than a very thin link to Christmas). While the careful word choice of this book is something to be admired, the substance just wasn't there for me. From other reviews I've read I believe I haven't missed anything by not reading Autumn first, but had it been anything like this one, I would have never decided to pick up Winter. It just wasn't something that spoke to me in any particular fashion.

*Book provided by Penguin First to Read

View all my reviews

No comments: