A

Monday, March 19, 2018

Review: Stories That Are Short Vol I: A Collection of 5-Minute Short Stories to Read Before Turning on the TV

Stories That Are Short Vol I: A Collection of 5-Minute Short Stories to Read Before Turning on the TV Stories That Are Short Vol I: A Collection of 5-Minute Short Stories to Read Before Turning on the TV by Ibrahim Ashmawey
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is a collection of short stories that come with the concept of picking it up and reading one before you turn on the TV. While I completely agree with that concept and often practice it myself, I wasn't particularly impressed with this collection of stories.

The one glaring issue with this collection is that close to ninety percent of the stories are in the speculative fiction genre, though this isn't known until you dive in (it would be beneficial to those who enjoy this genre to know about it in the synopsis). The rest range from historical and fable types to even a few middle grade selections. Not all of the stories are bad, but they do leave something to be desired. The stories don't necessarily give you that visceral reaction at the end like some of the best short stories do. None of the work gives you a last-sentence plot twist that leaves you burning to turn the page, begging to see a chapter 2. While it would cure boredom to read it, it's not something that I would be excited to keep picking up over and over again.

*Book provided by NetGalley

View all my reviews

No comments: