A

Thursday, June 6, 2019

Review: The She Book

The She Book The She Book by Tanya Markul
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

The She Book is a collection of poetry that tries to reach the audience with the message of female empowerment and rising above it all to find the strength within yourself. However, this collection did not speak to me.

Put Markul down as another of the Instagram Poets. I don't say that in a negative way, because this poetry movement brought the likes of Rupi Kaur and Amanda Lovelace. The biggest issue I have with this collection that I didn't with the others is that it's playing mimicry--it is trying to say the same things that these other collections have said, but it doesn't contain the same magic that made me want to read more so I can find new connections to myself and to the work. This collection can be boiled down to "I'm broken. I fixed it. You look broken. I'm going to tell you that you are great so you can fix yourself too."

Let's just say I'm hoping to see the Instagram Poetry bubble burst soon, but because people want simple language and stuff they don't have to pick apart to find meaning, I think it will be around for awhile. This collection isn't for me, but I'm sure there are plenty out there who can find a bit of solace or empowerment from it.

*Book provided by NetGalley


View all my reviews

No comments: