A

Monday, July 7, 2014

Review: American Blonde


American Blonde
American Blonde by Jennifer Niven

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



This post World War II era novel follows the ups and downs of Velva Jean Hart, After returning as a hero from the war as part of the WASP unit, she is instantly thrust into the spotlight and offered an MGM studio contract. While music is more her thing, she goes ahead and joins the Hollywood crowd, taking her cues from fellow WASP and Hollywood starlet Mudge/Barbara Fanning. However, when things don't turn out exactly as planned with her friend and her new romances, she has to find out exactly what is going on.

This book was intriguing to read and also a fun read, but it was instantly frustrating because I wanted to know more about the time Velva Jean spent during the war. I thought that the book would cover that, but then when I reached the end of the novel I discovered that this was the fourth book in a series. While it stands on its own very well, I'm excited to go back and read the previous books to see how Velva Jean got to where she was. It would also be interesting to know if there will be more books about this fiesty character in the future.



View all my reviews

No comments: