A

Thursday, January 5, 2017

Review: The Princess Saves Herself in this One

The Princess Saves Herself in this One The Princess Saves Herself in this One by Amanda Lovelace
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

the princess saves herself in this one is book of poetry that's making a powerful impact on many who read it, even becoming a Goodreads Choice Award for Poetry winner. Its thoughts in short bursts cover topics that range from abuse and relationships to learning how to love yourself.

I had to do a bit of research before writing this review because I immediately saw the resemblance of this work to Rupi Kaur's Milk and Honey. I wanted to make sure that I wasn't the only one that saw the similarities, and I was curious to see which one had been published first. The problem with these two books being so similar in style is that it's hard when one piece of work has had such an impact for the other work to not look like an imposter.

Lovelace's poetry is short and sweet in style, heavy in subject, but tends to overdo the explanation endings

-because the reader should be told what the author meant

This is also a style form used by Kaur, but more sparingly and not as explanatory. It's not to say that one is better than the other when it comes to an overall impact on a reader. I really enjoyed the first few poems and much of the last section of this book. It is definitely a case of which one you read first. I read Milk and Honey before the princess saves herself in this one, so I prefer the first one. Other reviewers out there who have read both prefer this one over Milk and Honey because that's what they read first.

No matter which one appeals to readers more, can we all just rejoice in the fact that these fierce writers are getting people to read more poetry?

*Copy of book provided by NetGalley

View all my reviews

No comments: