A

Thursday, January 26, 2017

Review: The Slanted Life of Emily Dickinson: America's Favorite Recluse Just Got a Life!

The Slanted Life of Emily Dickinson: America's Favorite Recluse Just Got a Life! The Slanted Life of Emily Dickinson: America's Favorite Recluse Just Got a Life! by Rosanna Bruno
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The Slanted Life of Emily Dickinson is a fun graphic novel by Rosanna Bruno that tries to reimagine the life of the famous poet by filling in the wide gaps of what is known about her life with what she may be like in the modern age. From musings on what her social media accounts might look like to her faithful canine companion, the book uses a combination of humorous speculation and actual poetic quotations to pull the work together.

Some of the premises in this book made me chuckle (the Facebook page is funny to think about) but not all of it gave me that same feeling while reading it. I think I enjoyed it because I'm a fan of Dickinson, but many who haven't read her poetry will not find this book amusing in the least. And I'm terrified to think a student just on the cusp of studying this classic poet may get their hands on it and fail to understand that it's a caricature. But fans of the poet will probably get a few laughs out of it.

*Book provided by NetGalley

View all my reviews

No comments: