A

Monday, September 4, 2017

Review: Pure Hollywood: And Other Stories

Pure Hollywood: And Other Stories Pure Hollywood: And Other Stories by Christine Schutt
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Pure Hollywood is a collection of stories that explores different relationships, including siblings, parents and children, husbands and wives, set everywhere from the California desert to a train station in Connecticut. The stories vary in length, from the long title story to shorter glimpse of life, more like character sketches than actual stories.

What this story collection doesn't contain is a real way of getting the reader connected with the main characters in each story. Although the descriptions of places and things are fluid and sometimes vibrant, if I can't connect to a character's motivations or hindrances for having any motivation, I feel like I'm wasting my time. These characters just didn't interest me, and it seemed like the characters themselves don't really want the readers to be interested in them, either. I doubt readers who truly love the short story form will find anything they like in this collection.

*Book provided by NetGalley

View all my reviews

No comments: