A

Sunday, January 4, 2015

Review: Funny Girl


Funny Girl
Funny Girl by Nick Hornby

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



Barbara from Blackpool loves Lucille Ball and dreams of someday being a funny comedienne just like her. Does she get her wish? In Funny Girl by Nick Hornby, the swinging 60s bring Barbara everything she wants--and some things that she didn't know she wanted.

This book appealed to me right off the bat because it has everything I love--a character obsessed with Lucille Ball, the pursuit for fame and all of it set in the background of the mid-60s. Beyond these things, I really enjoyed reading about the ups and downs of making a BBC comedy series during that time, and how Barbara/Sophie/Barbara (she's known by a few names in the story) grows and changes through it all. I also enjoyed the fact that the book has a cast of interesting characters rather than just one. We get to see as much of the writers' lives as we do Barbara's.

The one part about this book that disappointed me was that it took me farther than I wanted to go as a reader. I loved the 60s setting, but to fast forward through decades of their lives to see where they ended up was too much for me. Some things are better left to the reader's imagination.


*Received book for review from Penguin First to Read



View all my reviews

No comments: