A

Thursday, January 1, 2015

Review: How to Grow Up: A Memoir


How to Grow Up: A Memoir
How to Grow Up: A Memoir by Michelle Tea

My rating: 4 of 5 stars



How to Grow Up by Michelle Tea is a look into the adult life of a person with many sides: creative, addictive, scared, ambitious, etc. When I started the book, I kept saying to myself, "Hey, I'm a struggling writer too. What makes this person's story so special? I mean, switch out the nasty communal house for a guest room with a couple of retirees, the drug/alcohol addiction with an overabundance of love for food, a sketchy codependent love life with none at all and you have me."

Okay... so maybe Tea's story is wildly different than mine.

The book covers a lot of topics from drug and alcohol addiction to sexual orientation, finding yourself and realizing that they way you are living cannot be sustained long term. While I did enjoy some of the chapters that were a bit less memoir and a bit more how-to (such as the chapter about money and trying to will it into your life), the book seemed a bit scattered to me. Although it did always come back to the theme of making the choices that will better your life, even if they seem a lot harder than the choices that lead to near-destruction. It definitely had its moments, and I'm glad I had the chance to read it.

*Review copy provided by Penguin First to Read



View all my reviews

No comments: